If ever the application is not deleted from all their devices before March 15, all professional accesses such as email addresses and Skype will be revoked from them.
This comes after the revelation that Tik Tok was spying on reporters in an effort to track down which employees were leaking personal information on the social media giant.
A Tik Tok spokesperson expressed that “We are disappointed with this decision, which we believe to be misguided and based on fundamental misconceptions. We have contacted the Commission to set the record straight and explain how we protect the data of the 125 million people across the EU who come to Tik Tok every month”.
Tik Tok admitted themselves last November to accessing personal data of its users worldwide by its Headquarters in China. This led to the US banning the application on government devices. This being said the EU has not yet followed their procedures except for the Dutch government, who recommends its people to not use the app.
Last month, TikTok’s CEO Shou Zi Chew met with top EU officials, who told him the company had a long way to go to regain their trust.